Air Cargo Supply Chain Improvement Study
Alton’s client sought to better understand the current shipment tracking technology environment for temperature-controlled pharmaceutical products, spanning the entire B2B value chain (i.e., from initial product distribution to arrival at end distribution point/warehouse). In addition, the client also desired an evaluation of existing pain points within the value chain process, to identify potential opportunity areas.
Alton scoped a comprehensive engagement that included the following three areas:
- Development of Research Framework
- Mapped stakeholder landscape for temperature-controlled shipments of pharmaceutical products by air
- Prioritized stakeholder outreach efforts through use of a framework
- Developed comprehensive questionnaire, creating a tailored list of questions for each identified stakeholder group
- Data Collection and Analysis
- Leveraged extensive Alton network to secure interviews with key stakeholders across the entire value chain (e.g., pharmaceutical companies, freight forwarders, airlines, ground handlers)
- Conducted 20+ stakeholder interviews to understand existing pain points and current shipment tracking technology landscape
- Created detailed interview summaries for each of the conducted interviews
- Market Sizing
- Created market sizing estimate for shipment of temperature-controlled pharmaceuticals by air freight, including segmentation by product value
- Identified potential opportunity areas within the air freight value chain
Alton developed a detailed market sizing for the shipment of temperature-controlled pharmaceuticals by air freight by product value, upon which to consider its market expansion activities. Alton’s client also received significant insights into current pain points across multiple stakeholder groups, and potential opportunities related to shipment tracking technology.